As a Garage and Bodyshop we have a number of products that are hazardous and non hazardous, we have implemented a number of actions to ensure we reuse, recycle or dispose of them in the correct way.
- Metals and Batteries are collected for recycling by a registered collection company.
- Oil is correctly stored and recycled as a heating source.
- Oil Filters are crushed and stored in waste containers and collected by a registered company.
- Antifreeze, brake fluid and paint products are collected by registered companies and disposed of in the correct way.
- All our plastics and cardboard are disposed of by registered companies.
- We have reduced our oil stocks over the last three years whilst also changing our tanks for bunded containers. Also ensuring any container (oil drums) are sited on a bunded pallet station, reducing any risk of spills or contamination of the local environment.
- We were already water based compliant and have been for more than ten years now, however, in mid 2008 we changed our paint process further reducing our Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) emissions and the amount of thinners we need to use during the process.
In 2006 we were invited to join a government led initiative to reduce and manage hazardous waste in line with EU directives. We have worked diligently over the last couple of years to implement a number of key actions. In the latter part of 2008 we had a visit from the Environmental Agency and Birmingham City Council and had positive responses from both visits.